- Introduction: Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?
Professionals must develop
themselves psychologically, spiritually, and physically, because it is crucial
to possessing an overall state of well-being. This will serve as an example to
their clients and help them to be well versed in the types of health directives
that they can offer their patients. Dacher (2006) purports that when
professionals implement integral health in their lives then they can first hand
“come to know that the alleviation of suffering and the ascent to human flourishing
are more than ideas” (p. 167). Being
balanced in these areas will bring about a greater believability and
credibility of the health and wellness professional to the client. The areas in
my life that need improvement are psychological and physical well-being. These
will help me to achieve the goals that I have set to bring about a better
balance in my integral health, and that I may be able to share some of the
practices, ideas, and techniques with others who may be lacking or struggling
in any of these areas. Achieving these goals will help bring a sense of
accomplishment and increased productivity in the assignments I have been given
to assist others.
- Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?
Overall I have assessed my health in
each of these three areas by reviewing the amount of time that I have dedicated
to each aspect. According to Dacher (2006), an assessment process can also be
completed by asking a series of questions. This assessment includes five
questions that focus on healing and promoting integral development (p. 115). Based
on a scale of 1 to 10, I would currently rate my physical well-being at about a
5, because even though I don’t dedicate time to a specific workout, I do a lot
of walking on campus and park far away from buildings to get a little extra
walking in every day. My spiritual well-being is an 8. I regularly attend church
worship services, but I could devote much more time to personal prayer and
devotion. My psychological well-being is a 6. I am inundated with a lot of
different tasks and assignments but am consciously trimming away at things to
ensure that my mental health remains intact.
- Goal development:
List at least one goal you
have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and
Spiritual.
My primary physical goal is to increase
my amount of walking to one mile a day. Walking a least one mile has helped me
in the past to get just enough exercise to really begin stimulating my blood
flow. I have found that I can think better and rest better as a result of
having completed this small amount of exercise. Spiritually, I would like to
increase my prayer and Bible study time to an hour per day and learn one new
scripture per week. I have found that in starting my day with these practices
it sets the tone for the day to run a lot more smoothly, because my mind and
heart are prepared to receive whatever challenge or situation that may arise. Psychologically,
I would like to take 10-minute breaks per hour of work or study that include
deep-breathing techniques and stretching. I have found that these short breaks actually
increase my productivity versus trying to work straight through for long
periods of time. I am able to clear my mind and reflect on what I have gained
from the last 50 minutes of working or studying and it reduces stress, because
I am able to pay close attention to my breathing patterns at regular intervals throughout
the day.
IV.
Practices for personal
health:
What strategies can you
implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical,
Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or
practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
In order to make myself accountable
and the goals achievable, the strategies that I will implement include making a
schedule and sticking as closely to that schedule as possible. I can then share
this schedule with two people who I know will hold me accountable for adhering
to this schedule. Examples of other exercises that I can implement physically
are swimming and stretching, which can be alternated with walking during my
scheduled workouts. Psychologically, I can incorporate meditation and yoga
exercises. Spiritually, I can fast to bring about a greater connection to God,
and I can go out of my way to exhibit loving-kindness to total strangers as I
am going about my day. I know that I must not allow spiritual practices to
become “religious” practices, so I must maintain a balance between personal
development and outward displays of service, kindness, and compassion towards
others.
- Commitment:
How will you assess your
progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you
use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
Scheduling activities and journaling will be the two most
vital practices to assessing progress or lack of progress over the next six
months. There is something about putting things in writing that solidifies the
significance of the plan and carrying it out. Having a visual will allow me to
see from day to day what I have accomplished and will cause me to pick up the
slack immediately in any area that is beginning to weaken. Repetition is always
a good practice to implement until things become second nature or habit. Periodic
rewarding of good habits will assist in maintaining these vital practices
long-term. I love to read and purchasing a book would be an excellent incentive
to keep me focused on maintaining my overall well-being.
Dacher, E.S., M.D. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Lagun Beach, CA Basic
Health Publications, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment