Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Unit 7-Current Trends and Research Supporting the Mind-Body-Spirit Paradigm




  
            “Meeting  Aesclepius” overall was a very valuable experience. It became a tad strange and questionable when the exercise called for choosing a person of wisdom or a mentor on whom to focus and envisioning light coming from their mind, throat, and heart being transferred to the person doing the exercise and ultimately picturing oneself as the wise person. I feel it is good to admire and desire some of the qualities of another individual, but not wanting to become them. I believe I can employ this exercise to the extent of admiration and nothing further.
               
            "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (Dacher, 2006, p.477) applies to the health and wellness professional in that he or she must be the example to “practice what is preached”. It’s something about experience that brings about credibility and connection. That includes a continual pursuit to enhance one’s self psychologically, physically, and spiritually. Implementing  psychological and spiritual growth in my life would take on the form of meditation and reading of the word of God.

Reference

Dacher, E.S. (2006) Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna
            Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly, practice what you preach is the exact saying. Don't make up stories if there not true. I use my experience and stories I know from my past and share them but I never make them up. I like to hear about personal experiences and sharing them helps people relate. Knowing your facts and information is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the same saying very often because I am a firm believer that if you're going to preach something then you must practice it. We lead by example not by words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By practicing on our selves we can have first hand knowledge of what we are trying to convey to the patient. We can also share our personal experiences as well as knowing how it works. Once we take ownership of our own lives we can share those experiences with others. Great post Brooke.

    ReplyDelete