Dacher (2006) leads the reader through a 10-minute
mini-practice, which boasts of being effective at expanding the heart and mind
and shifting from a personal focus to universal loving-kindness (p. 93). It involves
simple repetition of these phrases:
“May all individuals
gain freedom from suffering. May all individuals find sustained health,
happiness and wholeness. May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from
suffering. May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness, and
wholeness” (p.93).
The assessment process involves looking at the four
quadrants of the integral map (life-psychospiritual, biological, interpersonal,
or worldly) to take inventory to see where improvements can be made (Dacher,
2006, p. 115). I discovered that the biological aspect is an area of
opportunity in my life. As much as physical activity affects the biological
quadrant, so does the mental aspect (mind/body). By simply adding the technique
of visualization to a physical workout will enhance the effectiveness of the
workout.
This assessment is definitely one to revisit periodically to
make sure that a healthy balance in the integral map is maintained.
Reference
Dacher, E.S. (2006) Integral health: The path to human
flourishing. Laguna
Beach, CA:
Basic Health Publications, Inc.
Hi Brooke!
ReplyDeleteIt's true that we can all improve when it comes to an aspect of our psychospiritual flourishing. I have recently added visualization into my physical workouts. While I am running on the elliptical I picture myself running on a beach with the waves coming toward me. It always helps me to stay calm and control my breathing.
-Melisa A.