Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Unit 5 The Key Role of Thought in Wellness and Healing




    The loving-kindness relaxation exercise though similar to the subtle mind allowed much more relaxation time between prompts, which improved relaxation without the anticipation of the next step. It was so relaxing that I fell asleep several times and had to keep restarting the process.

            As it instructed us to envision our enemies and breathe in those negative thoughts and breathe out positive ones, it reminded me of the importance of forgiveness. God says in His word, “For if you forgive people their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], your heavenly Father will also forgive you” (Matthew 6:14). By praying for and speaking blessings upon another individual that may have caused harm, it begins to change who you are and how you begin to view that person; compassion begins to flow in where thoughts of revenge may have lay stagnant.

            Being unforgiving is like a cancer that will slowly eat away at you if you continue to hold onto to it. Forgiveness is more for the one doing the pardoning, not the one who made the offense. Research studies in forgiveness have revealed a decrease in depression, stress and hurt, and an increase in optimism among other benefits (Schlitz, Amorok &, Micozzi, 2005, p. 337). These symptoms begin to manifest outwardly (good or bad) if carried out over an extended period of time. This shows the interconnectedness of spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness. I understand that in order to be in right relationship with God (spiritual) I through loving-kindness (mental) can expect an outward (physical) manifestation of an inward change.

Reference

Schlitz, M., Amorok, T., Micozzi, M. (2005) Consciousness & healing: integral                                approaches to mind-body medicine. St. Louis, MO. Elsevier, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, I agree with you about unforgiveness being like a cancer. I am currently working very hard to forgive someone who did not really hurt me directly; but she hurt my mother and in so doing caused great strife for my whole family. I too believe that in order to be forgiven by God, I have to find a way to forgive her; but I am finding it very difficult. Just when I think I have managed it, the Lord will tell me I still have a ways to go. I am praying for and about her, and hoping that will get me a little farther on this journey. I think I will try to pray blessings on her as you have suggested and see if that might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lori! It is not always an easy process, but the fact that you have made up your mind to see it through is the major step in the right direction. Forgiveness doesn't take feeling, it takes faith. It also doesn't mean that you have to allow that person to close enough to repeat the offense. You should be able to get to a point where you can be in the same room with the person and those past hurts not overtake you. Hurt people hurt people. Remember that as you pray for her.

      Delete